Posted on: Jan 17, 2012
In early summer 2011, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) began advanced testing of the ocean and rail cargo manifest systems in the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE). This testing is being done to ensure carriers and other filers currently utilizing the Automated Manifest System (AMS), are prepared to move forward with ACE.
Some of the benefits of ACE are:
- Increased SNP notification to 25 parties
- Extends a broker download to the sea environment
- When cargo is held, notifies the carrier which Participating Government Agency (PGA) has held the cargo and the reason for the hold
- Enables CBP to place and/or remove holds on the conveyance, container, bill of lading and partial quantities of a bill of lading
CBP announced that in early 2012, they will begin the decommissioning of the Automated Manifest System for sea and rail shipments, which would be the first major step in the move from the Automated Commercial System (ACS) to ACE. This move to ACE is currently anticipated for July 2012, or six months after the announcement.
The move to the ACE platform also has impact on carriers’ responsibilities and data access through the ACE Web Portal. Some of the benefits of a portal account are:
- The ability to view and manage trade activity from a national account perspective and access to transactional, financial and compliance data
- Allows carriers to maintain a custodial bond (Type2) authorization file
- Create and maintain their conveyance (vessel) data
- Provide detailed reports on In Bond, Equipment, Manifest, Bill of Lading and Commercial Party
Vilden has been working directly with CBP on testing the many technical changes required for ACE participation. We have completed our certification testing and are now proceeding with “stress” testing. We anticipate our migration to ACE in the early part of 2012, at which time, CBP will continue to replicate the data in AMS until the AMS system is retired.
White paper on the history of ACE: Click here
The time is now! If you haven’t begun exploring your ACE portal options, we highly suggest you start immediately. Vilden’s ACE portal is up and running and we welcome everybody to come and see why our solution is the absolute best. Contact us today!
Contact us today and learn about Vilden’s e-CLEAR solution and how we can serve all of your ACE, Customs Filing and ISF needs!
You must apply for an ACE Portal Account to get started. The application can be found here:
Once you have established your ACE Portal account, please go to the link below for a user guide to setting up your authorized users:
Also See the link below and select Ace Web Based Training, then e-manifest: Rail & Sea for additional training on using the ACE Web Portal:
How to Get the Most of Your ACE Portal Webinar: